Temperature Danger Zone
When handling food it is important that we recognize that unsafe food will not always appear as unsafe. Pathogenic micro-organisms will not provide a smell, a taste or colour. They are invisible and the only way to protect ourselves from them is by taking extra precautions when handling food. By ensuring food does not stay in the temperature danger zone for over 2 hours is a great way to ensure pathogenic bacteria does not reproduce to unsafe levels. The temperature danger zone is 4⁰C-60⁰C, within this range bacteria grows easily and rapidly. Remember keep food hot above 60⁰C and cold food below 4⁰C.
Time and Temperature Control Sheet
As a professional food handler, it makes sense that you have a clear idea about the best ways you can ensure safe food storage. After all, this is a very important process of the whole process, right from the beginning of cooking to the end. For this here is a detailed sheet that will help make things easier. Make sure to follow this sheet for food safety:
- Never leave the cooked or uncooked food out of refrigeration for more than two hours. This increases the risk of bacterial breeding and cross-contamination.
- Make sure to keep the hot food foot at a temperature above 140 °F. with the help of steam tables, slow cookers, etc. if you aren’t serving it right away.
- In case of reheating cooked food, make sure to reheat completely to an internal temperature of 165°F. Reheating should be done properly and evenly.
- Let the cold food remain cold at a temperature below 40 °F) using coolers filled with ice or packed with ice packs.
- Food must pass through a recommended Temperature Danger Zone as fast as possible as improper food is the most common cause of foodborne diseases.
- Make sure the size of your dish is reduced to begin the cooling process. You can do this with the help of ice-water baths, ice paddles, and cold water.
According to the Food Department of Canada, it is recommended to use a food thermometer on hand. This ensures that the food is cooked properly and that it is in perfect condition when served. For food handlers, it is important to have a comprehensive food safety and food handling certificate to have a good idea of food safety methods and guidelines to be followed in the kitchen. The better safe handling habits you maintain, the safer your food becomes.
Whenever you are in doubt of the safety of food, throw it out.
The online food safety course provides you with the essential knowledge required in preventing food-borne illnesses. The online food handler course is not only designed for people working in the food industry but is beneficial for practicing food safety at home. Click on the online training tab to get started on increasing your food safety knowledge to help protect your family, friends and your job.
Have a look at our food safety training programs to give a boost to your career as a professional food handler.
Food establishments are held at a higher standard by the government, especially by national health…Read More >>